Change of address. Remember to let companies know of your new change of address.
- Notify these utility services of your move (both at your old and new locations):
- BC Hydro
- Cell phone
- Cable/Satellite and internet
- Trash Collection
- Notify these professional services of your move:
- Doctor Dentist
- Financial Planner
- Health Insurance Provider
- Insurance Agent
- Notify these services/accounts of your move:
- Auto Finance Company
- Bank/Credit Union/Finance Companies
- Credit Card Companies
- Health Club
- Home care service providers (lawn, exterminator, snow removal etc.)
- Monthly memberships (Nexflix, book of the month, etc.)
- Store/Gas Charge Accounts
Take your views with you when you move. When you move house, make sure you don’t lose your right to vote. Unless you inform them that you’ve moved, you may not be able to vote in future elections.
Redirect Your Mail through your local Post Office. Contact the local post office to advise them of your move and to redirect your mail.
Refrigerator. Defrost, empty, dry out and air your refrigerator.
ICBC. If you have changed address, you must tell ICBC to update.
Leave a Welcoming Note. This should list all relevant information for the new owner. Remember to include your new address and telephone numbers. Some things that you may also wish to include are;
- Where’s the main stopcock (to shut off the water)?
- Where are the gas and electricity meters?
- Do any surfaces need special cleaning products, eg wooden floors?
- What day are the bins collected?
- Do you have any old tins of paint in the same colour as the walls?
- Do you have any instruction manuals or warranties on electrical items?
- Where did the kitchen and bathroom tiles come from etc?
- Where did any fixed furniture come from, eg, kitchen cabinets?
- Which company supplies the energy, broadband and home phone?
- Where is the thermostat?
- Any Vendor Recommendations?
- Alarm Codes (and note of Company that services your alarm)
Remember to Leave. A few items you will need to leave are;
- 2 Sets of Keys and all Mailbox Keys
- All Garage Door Openers
Leave it Clean. Hire a cleaning company to come in and do a quick clean after the movers leave or schedule a day that you will come back and make sure that everything is clean and in place for the new owners.