Are you thinking of selling your home in BC? Sell it successfully with these home improvements that can increase the value of your property and provide a good return on your investment.
- Upgrading your kitchen
The kitchen is no longer considered mere utilitarian space. It has become the heart of the home where family and friends gather for meals and informal get-togethers. Expensive kitchen renovations are often not necessary in boosting your home’s value. Simple upgrades like the following can do the trick:
- Updating the fixtures and lighting
- Upgrading countertops with materials like granite or quartz
- Sprucing up cabinets by resurfacing and changing the knobs and handles
- Changing the flooring to hardwood or easy-to-clean tiles Adding storage space
- Updating your appliances
Along with the kitchen, the bathroom is the part of the home buyers scrutinize more closely. Start with the most basic improvements, such as replacing worn and defective fixtures and fixing any plumbing problems. Keep the tiles and countertops gleaming, and replace worn pieces.
If you have the budget, consider upgrades that can make your bathroom feel like a sanctuary where you can retreat at the end of a busy day. Here are some suggestions:
- If your space and budget allow, add a new bathroom and or make your existing bathrooms bigger by knocking down walls and redesigning the layout
- Install glass showers to make the bathroom feel more spacious
- Install warm and relaxing lighting, preferably wall-mounted lights that are less harsh than overhead lighting
- Update your cabinets and increase storage space
- Add luxury features, such as a steam shower, double sinks, or a Jacuzzi
More and more buyers are looking for energy efficiency in homes to keep their utilities cost down. Consider investing in new energy-efficient features, such as LED and CFL lighting, programmable thermostats, Energy Star-rated appliances, tankless water heaters, and so on.
Consider hardwood floors, which give a home an upscale finish and add value to the property. If your home already has them, freshen them up and make them look new by refinishing and polishing.
Lighting can instantly create the mood in your home at night. Light-control dimmers can help you achieve the ambience you want by controlling the amount of lighting in a room. This also helps improve energy-efficiency. Track lighting looks good in most homes and gives off a contemporary feel. Decorative fixtures can also make your home more appealing and add to its value.
More than 30% of BC residents are renters, which makes rental properties potentially profitable investments. Consider converting your basement or another floor of the house into a rental, or perhaps build a laneway house for rent. The income you generate from the rental can help pay part of your mortgage and give your home’s value a significant boost.
If you’re looking to sell your home, we at Don Munro Real Estate can help you determine upgrades that can enhance your property’s value. Call us at 604-817-7338 or contact us here.